Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What's Your Advice for Teens?

I really am over the 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom thing, but there just wasn't anything on TV, so I got sucked in, and it was the Reunion show for the 2nd season. It seems that they have someone who choices adoption in every season. Which is great, that they show the struggles, but Lori, the one from Season 2 that placed was asked what she would say to Teens, she said to choice adoption.

Well, it got me thinking about what I would tell teens/young adults...and it isn't to choice adoption, or use contraception, but instead to NOT have sex, to wait until you're married and settled. BUT that if you do decide to have sex, then be on birth control AND use condoms. No teenager and young adult is ready for the responsibility a child brings. Even if you do make an adoption plan, and follow through with it.

You might feel like you're ready to have sex, but believe me, you're not. And the guy you're with just might not be there forever. And getting pregnant isn't going to make him stay, it might even push him away. Lucky for me, I didn't feel that way, I think cutting all communication with the father, and realizing that things weren't going to work out with us helped save me a lot of heartache, a different kind of heartache, but heartache nonetheless.

If you do find yourself in a situation where you are young and pregnant, then please, think about ALL your options. And seek the counsel of someone older and wiser, and who has been in your shoes. Talk to someone who had a child young, and kept it, then talk to someone who followed through with their adoption plan, even talk to someone who had an abortion. Educate yourself. Weigh ALL your options. Don't be afraid to talk to your parents.

Do research, and don't make any rash decisions. And if you're reading this, and find yourself in this situation, please don't hesitate to contact me.


Photobucket